Re: Samba, PAM, Authentication off an NT Domain

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 16:46, Kent West wrote:

> BTW, if the machine has already been added to the domain from the
> Windows 2000 side of this dual-boot machine, and the name of the machine
> is the same on both the W2K and the Debian sides, do I need to add it to
> the domain from the Linux side as well? Is it a problem to have the same
> machine added under the same name but under two different OSes? I tried

Yes. Definitely a problem for both sides of the dual boot to share the
same name on the domain.

> changing the name of the Debian side (I've got a script that greps for
> all the occurrences of the host name in /etc and changes 'em out, then I
> reboot (hey, it's not a server . . . .)) and adding the machine, but
> still no success.

Check out this document:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1998-10/lw-10-samba-p5.html

Make sure you stop the samba daemons before attempting to join the
domain.

-Mark