Re: Locale en_US and sorting order

Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> [2002-09-02 16:00:21 -0700]:
> I have been using the locale en_US.UTF-8 for unicode, and I noticed
> that the sorting order is different than the default 'C' locale.  With
> en_US the case is folded, so 'A' sorts the same as 'a', but with the
> 'C' locale the uppercase always come before lowercase.  I don't just
> mean the sort program, but also the output of ls and file globbing.

???  Yes.  You seem to understand.

> I've been using different versions of unix for 15-20 years and the old
> system is thoroughly burned into my brain, so I would like to get it
> back.  Does anybody know how to change back, or is the current system
> even considered a bug?

One of the below should restore standard behavor.  Are you saying you
want standard behavior or do you want something different such as
dictionary sort order.

  unset LANG
  export LANG=POSIX
  export LC_ALL=POSIX

If you want standard then you have to have a standard environment.  If
you want dictionary sorting order then set LANG=en_US and have a
non-standard but dictionary sort order.  It is your environment and
you get to choose how you want to customize it.

Bob