Re: Viewing .pdf attachments in mutt.

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 09:59:08PM +0800, Russ Pitman wrote:
> I have a supplier who insists on sending me documents as attachments.pdf
> via his isp's WebMail 2.0. I cannot change that situation.

At least they aren't sending you MS word .doc's.

> Tryiny to view the attachment fails,mutt can only ask to view binary.

Does it give you an error message like "No matching mailcap entry
found"?  You might need to tell mutt where your mailcaps are, for
example:

~/.muttrc: set mailcap_path=~/.mailcap

> My .mailcap had 'application/pdf;' set to /usr/bin/xpdf so I installed
> acrobat/acroread and set application/pdf to usr/local/bin/acroread without
> sucess.

My ~/.mailcap reads as follows:

~/.mailcap: application/pdf; gv %s

You could easily substitue xpdf in here of course.

> I have modified /etc/urlview/url_handler.sh from lynx to links,but I don't
> know enough to go further there. If that is the right approach can
> someone give me some pointer, just the right RTFM pointer will do.

I find the best way to view HTML in mutt is with:

~/.mailcap: text/html; links -dump %s; nameplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Which converts it to text that you can view in your standard mutt viewer
and can be included in a reply et cetera.

HTH,

Lucas