Re: need help detecting device XFree86 4.2.0 + savage

This one time, at band camp, boud said:
> Hi,
>   i wonder if someone could help me trying to detect my graphics device
> using XFree86 4.2.0 which i've installed with Woody from the 8 CD-ROMs.
>

> It seems that the X server cannot find the device - short extract from
> the log:
>
> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> > (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> > (EE) No devices detected.
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > no screens found
>
> Any hints on finding my device? The config file and the log are here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200209/msg00047.html
>
> Any hints on my next step would be welcome...
>
> thanks
> boud

Try /bin/lspci, and look at how the kernel recognizes your chipset.
Then find out your monitor specs (manual, online) and dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86. Choose the 'advanced' option under monitor, and feed it
the real specs.  Also make sure you are using the right driver.  The
only other thing I notice in the log is that it's failing to find the
module xie - is it actually not there?  find or locate to see if you
actually are missing this module, in which case, I'd say something else
might be broken in your install.

HTH,
Steve
--
Kent's Heuristic:
	Look for it first where you'd most like to find it.