LPRng connects every second to remote printer

Hi,

I recently installed lprng on a system at work. Installation was easy
and printing itself is working flawless. However now I see it connecting
every second (!) to the remote machine that hosts the spool for the
printer I use. The syslog on that machine is filling up with in.lpd
connect lines, after the connect nothing happens 'til the next connect.

I am using a standard configuration for lprng itself (all options in
lp.conf are commented out as they are by default). The only thing I
edited was the /etc/printcap file, which now contains this:

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.

lp|Postscript printer gang IB:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=sanders.rc.tudelft.nl:\
        :rp=ps:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj:\
        :mx#0:\
        :bk:\
        :sh:

# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:

I experimented a bit with the settings in lpd.conf, but obviously
didn't find the right combination to make this behaviour stop. Can
someone on the list enlighten me? As it is now I only enable the daemon
when I have something to print, which is a bit awkward. Just to be sure
I checked the queue to make sure there's no (corrupt) job left "hanging".
But as far as I can see that's not the case. The contents of
/var/spool/lpd/hplj are shown below.

-rw-------    1 daemon   lp            824 Aug 15 15:10 acct
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp            147 Aug 13 12:50 cfA282thor.dto.tudelft.nl
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp              0 Aug 13 12:49 control.pr
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp         299414 Aug 13 12:50 dfA282thor.dto.tudelft.nl
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp            599 Aug 13 12:50 hfA282
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp              0 Aug 16 09:34 lock.pr
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp              0 Aug 13 12:49 log
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp             68 Aug 16 09:36 lpq
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp             47 Aug 16 09:36 lpq.0
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp           2259 Aug 15 12:58 lpq.1
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp              0 Aug 13 12:49 status
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp           4769 Aug 15 15:10 status.pr
-rw-------    1 daemon   lp              6 Aug 15 15:10 unspooler.pr

I hope someone can tell me what I need to do, so I can keep the daemon
running without hammering the remote printer with seemingly needless
connections.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

--