Re: SANE: only root has access to scanner

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 10:34, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 12-Apr-2002 Coen De Roover wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 19:24, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >> so, what are the owner/group and perms of /dev/usbscanner?
> >
> > crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180,  48 Apr 12 18:44 /dev/usbscanner
> >
> > I have never seen the c before so I didn't know what the appropriate
> > chmod command was to make it writable for other users too ...
> >

> I doubt you would be writing to a scanner (-:  The perms look right, something
> else seems to be at work here.  I am not a user of a scanner, was just making
> sure you checked the obvious.  If you want to see if giving wrtie perms helps
> you do it just like you would any other file 'chmod a+w usbscanner'.

Of course you need write access to the scanner, to send it commands.
Either chmod the scanner to 666 or create a usb group, put yourself in
group usb, chgrp usb /dev/usbscanner, and chmod g+rw /dev/usbscanner.

> The 'c' is one of the special types given to device nodes, it is not too
> important here.

Specifically 'c' means a character device node.

-jwb