Re: help needed: install failure due to massive disk use

Stormjumper wrote:

1. went to www.debian.org -> debian_on_cd -> net_install,
downloaded network install minimal cd from
http://markybobdeb.sourceforge.net/elf/

2. wrote the iso image to cd, booted it up,
and ran thru the base install successfully,
and rebooted.

3. after the reboot, dselect ran automatically,
allowing me to add the usual packages. i did,
and downloading commenced.

4. HOWEVER, downloading failed midway,
complaining of insufficient disc space.
i allocated around 2.5gb for /,
and the package selected were the default,
and was 90+ mb only, or 100+ mb when installed.

5. so i retried steps 1-3, doing another install.

6. this time, at stage 3, i used ALT-F2,
logged in to another console, and manually
monitored disk usage using "du -h".
to my surprise, disk space was being used
much faster than data, approx 1mb / min.

Weird. I don't have an answer, but you might try stopping dselect from running at step 3, then running
	apt-get update
	apt-get upgrade
and see what happens.

Kent