Re: Dual Boot with Win2k

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 09:44:47AM -0400, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
| Has anyone had any dual-boot experience with Windows 2000? I currently
| have linux on one drive and 2K on another, and am looking for a viable
| way of dual booting the two...

Yep.  Piece of cake :

~~~~~~ /boot/grub/menu.lst

##########
title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.18-custom.2 , 1280x1024x24)
    root        (hd0,0)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-custom.2 root=/dev/hda4 read-only video=vesa vga=0x31B
    boot

##########
title       M$ Windo~1
    root        (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1      # Chainload from the first sector

In my case, /boot is the first partition on the primary master (where
debian will start from).  Win2k is on the second partition of the
primary master.  Debian is on the 4th partition, and swap is the 5th
partition (3 is an extended partition which is where 5 comes from).
This machine only has 1 disk.  If you have a different disk/partition
scheme, just substitute the proper paths and it will work just fine.

HTH,
-D

--

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.