help needed: install failure due to massive disk use

hi,

i'm a newbie, trying to install Debian Linux,
and is running into the following problem:

1. hard disk space used up at around 1mb/min.

i've no idea why this happens,
hope someone can tell me.

anyway, my installation process is such.
1. went to www.debian.org -> debian_on_cd -> net_install,
downloaded network install minimal cd from
http://markybobdeb.sourceforge.net/elf/
as linked from debian web pages

2. wrote the iso image to cd, booted it up,
and ran thru the base install successfully,
and rebooted.

3. after the reboot, dselect ran automatically,
allowing me to add the usual packages. i did,
and downloading commenced.

4. HOWEVER, downloading failed midway,
complaining of insufficient disc space.
i allocated around 2.5gb for /,
and the package selected were the default,
and was 90+ mb only, or 100+ mb when installed.

5. so i retried steps 1-3, doing another install.

6. this time, at stage 3, i used ALT-F2,
logged in to another console, and manually
monitored disk usage using "du -h".
to my surprise, disk space was being used
much faster than data, approx 1mb / min.

hope someone can help me out.

thanks