I hate printers

I have tried repeatedly to get the lpr & /etc/printcap configured to print correctly. The closest I can get is to have the stupid computer come back and say that it can't find the printer lp@192.168.0.1.

I am using a D-Link DL713P as the printer server.

What really cooks my goose is that I have already had several people tell me that it's exactly going to be lp@192.168.0.1.

I have been trying to use apsfilter to configure the lpr printcap file. The only thing that seems to be out of sorts is the idea that the printer name on the remote server is lp and apsfilter prefers the name raw.

printers are really weird and I've tried RTM-ing. But I've seen nothing worse for a read that that. bother!

And yes, I tried CUPS. That really didn't work. I was trying to send the print job to the ipp port and not the printer port (515, not lpt). And there is ZERO documentation on CUPS. Yes, I went to the site. Event read half the fricken white papers before I realized that it wasn't going to help me a bean.

I am at a loss. I don't know I'm supposed to "try" next. I've done this a number of times with real servers.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.  I'm also totally stuck!