Re: hard drive partitioning questions

On December 31, 2002 10:06 am, Alvin Oga wrote:

> i always want at least 6 partitions ( my quirks )
> ( or some silly set of similar sizes )
>         - you dont need /boot in modern pcs that know how to get pass
>         the first 1024 cylinders ( 500MB ) problem
>         ( 500MB is plenty of room for your /bin /lib /etc /sbin /boot )
>
>           64MB  /
>          128MB  /tmp
>          512MB  /var
>         2048MB  /usr
>          256MB  swap
>           rest  /opt  ( aka /home )

I use a very similar scheme but in my experience some of those sizes are too
small, particularly / ... here's the usage on my current desktop system:

fraser@shieldaig:/lib$ df -h
Filesystem            Size    Used   Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1             471M  258M  190M   58%   /
/dev/md3            1008M    41M  917M     5%   /tmp
/dev/md1                4.0G    3.3G  529M   87%   /usr
/dev/md2                2.0G  576M    1.4G   30%   /var
/dev/md0                7.9G    3.6G    4.0G   47%   /home

258MB are used on my root partition, mostly because I like to keep a lot of
kernels around (/boot and /lib/modules combined are 169MB), still not
counting kernels my root filesystem is right around 100MB.

My /usr includes about 500MB of stuff under /usr/src but still real Debian
packages installed in /usr is getting pretty close to 3GB for me, in
anticipation of growth I'd make /usr at least 5GB (if not 10GB), I remember
having X up and running with 50MB of installed disk space, those days are
gone ... growth in the number of apps and size of those apps is almost
inevitable.

My $0.02 CDN

Fraser