Re: hard drive partitioning questions

hi ya

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> On 31/12/02 Nori Heikkinen did speaketh:
>
> > i just bought a new 80G hard drive.  i should partition the whole
> > thing, right?  i'm thinking:
> >
> > /dev/hda1 -- / (Linux (83)) -- 100M (is this appropriate?)
> > /dev/hda2 -- /usr (83) -- 1G (too much?)
> > /dev/hda3 -- swap (82) -- 128M (i have that much physical RAM, and
> >              that should be sufficient, right?) should i make this
> >              hda1?
> > /dev/hda3 -- /var -- 2 or 3 G, as per suggestion of [1] (i like apt)
> > /dev/hda4 -- /tmp -- 50M-ish?
> > /dev/hda5 -- /home -- the rest, all for me :)
>
>     All you really need is swap and /. Making all these partitions ensures
> that none can overflow into the other, but it's difficult to forsee exactly
> what your needs will be. For example, I have a 100M /tmp partition, and I
> thought that would be plenty. Then I started using VMWare. I'm running out of
> /tmp space regularly now.
>     I really don't see a problem with just swap and /.

partitions depends on you, your requirements/desires/experiences and
application

- no matter how big yu make your partition...
	- it will always be too small one day

if single user mode is important to you ... you can always boot and
fix your "broken" server by booting into a 64MB rootfs while the
other 20GB or 100GB is fsck'd for some reason or other
	- a requirement

i always want at least 6 partitions ( my quirks )
( or some silly set of similar sizes )
	- you dont need /boot in modern pcs that know how to get pass
	the first 1024 cylinders ( 500MB ) problem
	( 500MB is plenty of room for your /bin /lib /etc /sbin /boot )

	  64MB	/
	 128MB	/tmp
	 512MB	/var
	2048MB	/usr
	 256MB	swap
	  rest	/opt  ( aka /home )

	( only /opt and /etc is backedup )

- the system disks should NOT change much in size after your done install
  and run your periodic updates

if quick/simple backups of user data is important, and you want to assume
that all your OS is already backed up...
	and you only want to back user stuff ( /home  and /etc )

	- you can restore  /home and /etc onto any other system
	and you'd be up and running w/o any major issues

if you d/l and install and compile lots of goodies
	- move /usr/local to /home/local
	where /home is the whole disk

if you're running a mail server
	- move /var/spool/{mail,mqueue,clientmqueue} to /home
	where /home is the whole disk

if you're running a web server
	- move /var/www to /home/www
	where /home is the whole disk

more partition fun  - lots o docs/comments/howtos
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Installation/partition.gwif.html

c ya
alvin