Re: Getting a Higher Version w/out upgrading

heya,

i know you can do stuff with 'pinning' in your apt configurations, but i
don't know enough about that to give specifics.  i'm sure it's been
explained on this list a few times anyways, try searching back for
apt.conf and pin .

however the quick hack i use is to put deb-src entries for the newer
release, and then apt-get source package -b to make a debian package
out of the source for the package from the newer version.  it works
pretty well on smaller packages, though i could see getting into a rut
with build-depends for complicated packages.  the nice thing is sense you
only give it the src entries you won't risk accidentally upgrading your
entire system.  that failing, there's always /usr/local :)

hth
	sean