Re: Getting a Higher Version w/out upgrading

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> I'm still having problems with my ATI card.  I know it's worked fine under
> XFree86 4.2, but Woody has X 4.1.  How can I upgrade to X 4.2 w/out upgrading
> anything else or moving to unstable?
>
> Hal

This is not generally a good idea, but I just did this on my machine because
I needed 4.2 as well.  I went to /etc/apt/sources.list and changed 'woody'
to 'testing' in the address for the ordinary stuff.  Then I did 'apt-get'
update' and 'apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common' I was pleased
to see that I did not have a huge amount of stuff to be changed; so I said
'Y' when it asked if I wanted it and that was that.  After it was installed,
I immediately changed sources.list back and ran 'apt-get update' again so
that I wouldn't forget and do a complete upgrade to testing next time
around. I had put in a new video card; so I reconfigured X after this
process.

I did a similar thing back when I had potato and ended up with a huge
upgrade and a big mess.  I was new to Debian then; so it's hard telling what
I really did.  I was using dselect.  I came back to try Debian again about a
year later. <smile>

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910