Re: debian on openbrick

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 12:44:13PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

Hi Joye,

> I read with interest your article
> (http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4540125636.html) on how you
> crammed Debian into a 32 mb compact flash on an openbrick E, as I did
> the same thing, but with a very different technique on my openbrick.

What I did in the article is for the OpenBrick-E.  The OpenBrick-E
has 256M RAM in the default configuration, compared to the 128M
RAM OpenBrick.  My next step would be to uncompress the cloop-
based filesystem and mount its entirety on the tempfs.  Next, I
would be able to upgrade it on the fly.  The only limit is the
size of the ramdisk, which is 256M for the OpenBrick-E.  Then,
I just have to compress it again into the a clooped filesystem and
to store it on the compactflash.

I do have a long to-do list, before it will be ready to be packaged.
Personally, I don't think it is safe to mount the compactflash as
the "live" root filesystem.  It is not designed to have that many
write-cycles as a regular hard disk.  So, even with a larger size
compactflash, what we are doing will still be valuable contributions.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Best Regards.