Re: debian on openbrick

Bao C. Ha wrote:
> What I did in the article is for the OpenBrick-E.  The OpenBrick-E
> has 256M RAM in the default configuration, compared to the 128M
> RAM OpenBrick.  My next step would be to uncompress the cloop-
> based filesystem and mount its entirety on the tempfs.  Next, I
> would be able to upgrade it on the fly.  The only limit is the
> size of the ramdisk, which is 256M for the OpenBrick-E.  Then,
> I just have to compress it again into the a clooped filesystem and
> to store it on the compactflash.

Yeah that'd work ok. I thought about doing something similar with my
hard disk as the scratch medium.

> I do have a long to-do list, before it will be ready to be packaged.
> Personally, I don't think it is safe to mount the compactflash as
> the "live" root filesystem.  It is not designed to have that many
> write-cycles as a regular hard disk.  So, even with a larger size
> compactflash, what we are doing will still be valuable contributions.

That's why I keep my whole root filesystem mounted read-only. My compact
flash is only written to on clean shutdowns (rare..) when I rsync
/var/log and other persistent state back to it, and when I upgrade or do
some sysadmin task. I suspect this in fact will tend to wear out the
flash less overall than your technique of blowing in an entire completly
different compressed image for each change. Not that I worry about
wearing out a cheap 32 mb flash; it's not as if the system is swapping
to it! At maybe one write a week to some random sector of my flash, I
have well, a very long expected lifetime for it.

--
see shy jo