Re: Debian and IPV6

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 05:20:01PM -0600, Russ Cook wrote:
> I have enabled IP6 on my home network, configured my network,
> and obtained tunneling and ip addressed through Freenet6.
> I can ping6 all machines on my network, but ssh -6 does not
> work.  I get errors that the connection was refused.  SSH works
> fine with Ipv4 protocol.

You need to start sshd with the -6 option. There are a number of bugs
filed about this; the reason that it hasn't been enabled yet is that
there is an incompatibility between glibc and the Linux 2.2 kernel which
causes sshd to fail to start up at all if IPv6 listening is enabled by
default, and the ssh maintainers are hesitant to apply workarounds that
would merely paper over this bug.

I think there's a potential change which could enable IPv6 for people on
2.4 without being any more of a workaround than the current
--with-ipv4-default option. However, it needs some code to be written,
and I haven't had the chance yet.

--
Colin Watson (temporary ssh maintainer)       [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]