Re: hdparm, cdrom, and retaining params - humm

hi ya bill

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I'm trying hard to get a better grasp of this stuff -- short of
> reading ATA and PCI specs!

night night.. :-)

> Ok, so I guess it makes sense to enable the fastest mode that's available
> on *both* the IDE controller and the drive.  And in this case the Intel
> PIIXn chipset is UDMA/33 and so is the Plextor CD-R.

the "system" works at whatever the drive is configured for in some
cases... and other cases... it runs at whatever the ide controller can
handle .. all of the hw has to be compatible
	- bios
	- ide controller
	- drive
	- kernel
	- good ide cables

if any one of those cannot support feature "x".. than its a dead box
	200GB ide disks on an 1990 bios is a waste of $$$

	133MB/sec ata-133  disks running on the same cable as cdrom
	is a waste of $$$
		- your system runs at the slowest ide device speed

	dont mix different speed (ata-33/ata-66/ata-100/ata-133) drives
	on the same ide cable

> So I should set the -X66 flag to select UDMA mode 2.

sounds like a good bet for your system

> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)

you might wanna set -c3

>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)

you might wanna set -u1

>  using_dma    =  1 (on)

good

> I also notice this message:
>
>  ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

seems to be a common bootup message...
	- use the common denomiator to make it work w/ as many systems
	- never found a reason to use idebus=xx isntead

c ya
alvin