Re: hdparm, cdrom, and retaining params

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Alvin Oga wrote:

Drifiting to hardware issues...

I'm trying hard to get a better grasp of this stuff -- short of
reading ATA and PCI specs!  I don't really understand the difference
between PIO modes and DMA settings, for one thing.  I also have no idea
what all these settings do in real life -- especially for reasonably slow
CD drives.  I suppose that can't all be explained in a few paragraphs,
though.

Ok, so I guess it makes sense to enable the fastest mode that's available
on *both* the IDE controller and the drive.  And in this case the Intel
PIIXn chipset is UDMA/33 and so is the Plextor CD-R.

So I should set the -X66 flag to select UDMA mode 2.

Any idea how that setting works?  Does hdparm send a flag to the kernel
IDE subsystem to enable udma mode 2, which knows to set a bit in the IDE
chipset (e.g. in this case UDMACTL at offset 48h bit 2 for the secondary
interface drive 0).

Or is it just telling the drive to go in that mode and we hope that the
IDE chipset is enabled for udma mode 2 as well?  And if that's the case,
how does the IDE chipset get enabled for that mode?

BTW - I also notice that the hard drive on this machine is also not set
the best:

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 1662/255/63, sectors = 26712000, start = 0
 busstate     =  1 (on)

I wonder if the kernel IDE controller for the PIIXn chipset can't be a bit
more verbose on how it's configuring the drives.  When I get a chance I'll
take your advice and disable everything not related in the kernel and see
if that fixes things.

I also notice this message:

 ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

Is that the PCI bus speed to the IDE controller?  How do I track down if
that can indeed be set differently?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org