Re: hdparm, cdrom, and retaining params

hi ya bill

> > > (see below) I have to use -d1 -c1 -X34 -u1.
> >
> > there is no "reason" you "have to use" those options
>
> That's my poor choice of words.  That's just what I used.

i famous for that

> > -u1  allow the cpu to do other stuff while waiting for the "disk
> > 	seeks/etc" .. non-critical..
>
> I think it was the -u1 that fixed my problem of the system clock falling
> way behind while ripping or burning a CD.  For a 4 minute burn the clock
> would be almost a minute behind when done.

yeah... that'd give the cpu mroe time for other things,
but the rtc/nmi should be highest priority interrupts ...
no user app should be able to slow the "clock" down
	- maybe something else is also whacky that is causing
	the slow down

	- cdrw burning is a slow process... the cpu should have
	plenty of spare cycles

> > > And my config has:
> > >
> > >           --- IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> > >
> > >           [*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
> > >           [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
> > >           [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
> > >           [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available
> > >           [*]     Intel PIIXn chipsets support
> > >           [*]       PIIXn Tuning support
> >
> > and what chip set does the dell have for itd ide controller
> > 	- those bug fixes need to be turned on too
>
> You mean other than the lspci output I posted?

yes

open your box... find all the big black squares yu can find
and write down all the names of the chipsets

go into the kernel source ....
	- click into the IDE/DMA support section
	and see if any of the numbers of the big-black-squares
	matches anything in the kernel ide/dma options
		- turn it on if it does
		- leave the others off ( prevent potential problems )

>   00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
>
> And I think I've got everything enabled in the kernel config that
> mentionds PIIXn.

i dont know if the above IDE interface is a ide controller or not
and if it is.. yes.. thats the plan...

> > >  DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2

notice the list of modes your drive supports
notice the *  which indicates your current (very slow) disk xfer speed
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks

> > 	you should be using udma2 ( -X64 ) instead ... faster/better
>
> Ok, I'll give that a try.  man hdparm said for -X64 I'd need to prepare
> the chipset for UltraDMA beforehand, so I'm not sure what the means.  Is

your drive supports udma0, udma1, udma2  ( -X64, -X65, -X66 )
	- now get the kernel to support the ide controller
	and it in turn will talk to the drive at the right speed

c ya
alvin