Re: grep freezes system

29.12.2002 10:51:04, Robert.Land@t-online.de (Robert Land) wrote:

>Using recursive grep for large directory structures
>caused the entire system to freeze.

I once had this, when I tried to access scsi-devices
with hardware-problems.
Responsiveness of the whole system went drastically down.

Hanging applications can also be reproduced when
trying to access files on a stale nfs mount (if not
mounted with -o soft)

>The same happens for "find / * -group xx_x".

And maybe anything else accessing the problematic file.

BTW: I think the "*" in your command does not do what you intend.
  It will be expanded by your shell and the result will
  be seen as part of the path-list by "find"
  My guess is, you simply want to get rid of it.

HTH, Michael