[SOLVED] Re: Sometimes getting sound fine under woody, but not with xine

Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> I don't remember xine's options all that clearly, and I can't check
> right now (I'm ssh'ed in in console only mode), but /dev/dsp1 looks
> suspicious to me.  Do you have two sound cards, or two audio outs?  I
> would try to force xine to send it's audio out to /dev/dsp, where it
> will normally be dealt with by the oss wrapper in KDE's arts server.

You just provided me with the key to the solution.  For some reason, the
default ~/.xine/config file that got generated by running the default
installation of xine-ui contained the following lines:

  # /dev/dsp# device to use for oss output, -1 => auto_detect
  # numeric, default: -1
  audio.oss_device_num:1

The "1" after the colon means that /dev/dsp1 should be used.  I
changed the line as follows, and now the program tries to use
/dev/dsp, and the sound works fine:

  audio.oss_device_num:-1

I know I probably just could have commented out that line altogether to
have the same effect, but I like to spell things out instead of relying
on defaults.

At any rate, all is well now, and thank you very much.

> As for the KDE thing, I think you can disable sound in the control
> panel somewhere.

I'll look for it.  It hasn't been all that important to me, but now
that the other problem is fixed, it's time to take care of this one.

> HTH, and sorry I'm not clearer - hopefully it gives you a starting
> point, though.

As you can see, it did.  Thanks again!

--
 Lloyd Zusman