Re: Sometimes getting sound fine under woody, but not with xine

Lloyd Zusman said:

>   audio_oss_out: Opening audio device...
>   audio_oss_out: using device >/dev/dsp1<
>   audio_oss_out: opening audio device /dev/dsp1 failed:
>   No such device
>   load_plugins: audio output plugin
>     /usr/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_ao_out_oss.so:
>     init_audio_out_plugin failed.
>   main: the specified audio driver 'oss' failed

while I cannot provide a solution I can say that I too have experienced
this. On my IBM thinkpad T20 with 2.2.19, getting xine to work with
audio was hell. I never figured out how I got it working since everytime
I rebooted the system I had to start from scratch again, maybe I only got
it working by blind luck. I upgraded to 2.4.20 a couple weeks ago, ran
xine for the first time last night and audio worked perfectly for about
30 seconds then the X server froze(though the audio was still comming through
clearly). Haven't tried it other then the one time. I notice your using
2.4.19 now.. perhaps switching to ALSA would help? I tried switching to
ALSA and had no luck either under 2.2.19. Though XMMS, mpg123, and games
like simcity 3000 worked flawlessly as far as sound goes. never a glitch.

perhaps a bug in the driver..or in xine ? I don't recall trying other
video players on my laptop, only xine.

nate