Is this a locales error?

I keep getting this error when I run man and perl.
Its started after a rather messy upgrade from potato
to woody using the cdrom images.  I tried running
dpkg-reconfigure locales and setting the correct
setting, but I still get these errors.  So far they
haven't caused any problems, but I would like to get
rid of them. Many thanks for any advice you can pass
on.

--begin man error
running man I get this error:
(null): can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct

--begin perl error
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),