Re: hdparm, cdrom, and retaining params

hi ya bill

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> What determines what settings are the default for a drive on boot?
>
> I thought what was needed is to include support for the IDE chipset and
> enable IDE DMA in the kernel.  This is what I've done on other machines
> and they boot up with the correct settings.

thats for starters...

and see what the bios itself says about your drives

> And if I can't get it to automatically set what is the common or suggested
> way to enable the settings at boot?  Is there a "Debian" way to do that?
> Does the hwtools package init.d script for this?
>

> On one Dell machine (Demension XPS T450 PIII) that has a very new CD-ROM
> (see below) I have to use -d1 -c1 -X34 -u1.

there is no "reason" you "have to use" those options

-d1  says turn on dma... you can use it or not.. non-critical
-c1  enable 32bit io support ( default is 16bit ) .. non-critical
-X34  is old style multiwod dma2 .. non critical as long as you are NOT
      going faster than the rated dma speed of the drive
-u1  allow the cpu to do other stuff while waiting for the "disk
	seeks/etc" .. non-critical..

-- everything should work by "default"

	mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom
	ls -la /mnt/cdrom

> And my config has:
>
>           --- IDE chipset support/bugfixes
>
>           [*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
>           [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
>           [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
>           [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available
>           [*]     Intel PIIXn chipsets support
>           [*]       PIIXn Tuning support

and what chip set does the dell have for itd ide controller
	- those bug fixes need to be turned on too

> # hdparm -i /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
>  Model=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A, FwRev=1.00, SerialNo=029043
>  Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
>  RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
>  BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
>  (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
>  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:180,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
>  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2

good...
        - should tell you what its dma/pio capabilities are
        ( the *  marks the current dma xfer speed )

	- you are already running  multiword dma2  ( -X34 )
	- but why bother ???

	you should be using udma2 ( -X64 ) instead ... faster/better

>  AdvancedPM=no

c ya
alvin