Re: SCSI emulation for IDE CD-writer

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Bob Proulx wrote:

> First you need the kernel to load the ide-scsi module at boot
> time.  Put the name of that driver in /etc/modules.
>
> In /etc/modules place the following:
>
>   ide-scsi
>
> The ide-scsi module can only adapt an IDE device to a SCSI if it has
> not already been grabbed by the normal IDE layer.  Therefore the
> kernel must be instructed to load the ide-scsi driver for these
> devices at boot time such that the ide-scsi driver will be loaded
> first.
>
> In /etc/lilo.conf place the following:
>
>   append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Now this confuses me.  I assumed that if the ide-scsi was built as a
module you would use options in the /etc/modutils setup to pass in the
options when loading the module.  I thought the append= line in lilo.conf
was to pass in settings to compiled in code.  Is that a wrong assumption?

Another question:  I have everything compiled into the kernel instead of
as modules.  I have two IDE drives and I'm *not* using the append line,
yet the drives are still setup correctly as SCSI.

Why don't I need the append= line?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org