Re: SCSI emulation for IDE CD-writer

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 11:33:10AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > In /etc/lilo.conf place the following:
> >
> >   append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
>
> Now this confuses me.  I assumed that if the ide-scsi was built as a
> module you would use options in the /etc/modutils setup to pass in the
> options when loading the module.  I thought the append= line in lilo.conf
> was to pass in settings to compiled in code.  Is that a wrong assumption?

Otherwise the ide-cd system will grab the drives.  If it's compiled in,
there's no way to get your CD drive back without a reboot.

> Another question:  I have everything compiled into the kernel instead of
> as modules.  I have two IDE drives and I'm *not* using the append line,
> yet the drives are still setup correctly as SCSI.
>
> Why don't I need the append= line?

AIUI, if you have ide-cd and ide-scsi (and sr_mod) compiled into the
kernel, ide-scsi will win and take everything.  I compile all the
ide-scsi (and scsi) stuff as modules, because it's possible to play with
them without a reboot.

-rob