Re: ntpdate from cron -- DON'T DO THAT!

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> [2002-12-23 08:03:45 -0600]:
> > I think you'd stump the frontline staff at any isp with this one, and
> > it's not really important enough to email thier NOC about in the end...
>
> Of course I'd stump the frontline staff of my ISP with questions about time
> servers, and it is impossible for me communicate with anyone else there.
> AFAIK this is the usual situation.

Agreed.  However, if you prompt them you can usually get them to agree
with anything.

Me: "Is it okay if I use your DNS servers as my primary NTP servers too?"

ISP: "Uh, NTP?  Uh, you are a customer of ours?  Then sure.  BTW, what
is NTP?"

Generally distribution infrastructure of NTP is similar to DNS and
therefore I recommend using the same DNS machines for NTP machines.

Bob