Re: Speaking of ntp, yes CD-R does mess with the clock!

Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> [2002-12-25 04:20:20 +1100]:
> > > Chrony is designed to work with intermittent connections.

ntpd works well with intermittent connections too.

> No idea...chrony is a lot smarter than ntpdate though; it gradually
> moves your clock back and forth so that running apps don't get confused,

ntpd also avoids jumping the clock.  To use the same words, ntpd
gradually moves your clock back and forth so that running apps don't
get confused.

*However*, here is the relevant information on ntpd stepping the
clock.  I will define for this purpose that stepping and jumping are
not the same thing in this description.

       -x     Ordinarily, if the time is to be adjusted more than
              128 ms, it is stepped, not gradually slewed.   This
              option  forces  the time to be slewed in all cases.
              Note: Since the slew rate is limited to  0.5  ms/s,
              each  second of adjustment requires an amortization
              interval of 2000 s.  Thus  an  adjustment  of  many
              seconds can take hours or days to amortize.

Bob