Eterm b0rkage in sid

Howdy all,

I've just reinstalled sid due to some massive file system corruption,
and now Eterm (and Esetroot) aren't working.

$ strace Esetroot /usr/share/backgrounds/propaganda/vol13.5/Sleep-Deprivation-5.JPG
[snip]
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/xpm.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/tiff.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/tga.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/pnm.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/png.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/jpeg.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/gif.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/bmp.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/loaders/image/argb.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[snip]

Eterm complains similarily in strace, and tells stderr about how it
can't load any images.

According to the apt bot on #debian, thse files are not in Debian.  Some
folks I asked on #debian didn't have them either.  AFAIK, these are
libtool thingies that help it use dynamic loading, but they don't seem
to be neccessary for anyone else.  I'd file a bug, but it worked up
until my reinstall, and neither imlib2 nor eterm have been uploaded in
the past month.

Hmmm...I'm running libc6 2.3.1-8, maybe that's it...Nope, downgrading to
-5 didn't help.

So, anyone seen this, or have any ideas what to do?  If no one pipes,
up, I'll file a bug against eterm, since the maintainer is no doubt
smarter than me and can figure out what's gone wrong.

-rob