Re: Manual install permissions

Seneca wrote:
On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:24:23AM +1100, Russell wrote:

I installed a CAD package to /usr/local/vutrax, and the install
instructions say to set the permissions to rwx for all.
Is there a better way? Should i add a user and group called "vutrax",
and add myself to the vutrax group?

rwx for all? Why would some random user need to write to it? If people
using it need to write to it, I would take a look at the source and see
if the required writes could be moved to the user's home directory
instead, and change it if possible, and if it couldn't be changed, then
I would reconsider using the package. If no writes to /usr/local/vutrax
are needed, then rwx only for the owner, and r-x for everyone else. If
you set it to rwx for all, altered binaries could be written by anyone
to /usr/local/vutrax, generally a Bad Thing.

I think i know now. All the files installed in /usr/local/vutrax can
be owned by root. The files that get modified can be assigned to a 'vutrax'
group, and any users that use the package are also added to the vutrax group.