Slowing down CD/DVD drives?

Hi everybody

Is there a linux tool for slowing down CD-Rom and DVD drives to, say, 12x CD or 2x DVD speed? There is a program called CD-bremse
http://home.t-online.de/home/Joern.Fiebelkorn/cdbremse.htm
that does this for the OS whose name is not to be spoken. The result is a very less noisy CD/DVD drive, which would help me greatly on my laptop. I don't know why, but the drive turns at maximum speed when watching DVD, and this noise is really annoying. I already considered watching DVD only under the other OS...

Thanks,
joerg