Re: [OT] Best MP3 player used with Debian

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:57:28PM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi, thanks
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:45:31PM -0800, nate wrote:
> > Osamu Aoki said:
> > > I was thinking to use Samba share to get files from vender provided
> > > windows MP3 encoder software to be legitimate :) Do they include these in
> > > MP3 plater package?
> >
> > what? I have no idea what you just said.
>
> I thought those MP3 player products may package windows MP3 application
> with proper patent licensing.  So my question was:
>
> 1) Are MP3 encoding softwares usually included with MP3 hardware or
>    should I have to buy if I want to be legitimate?

Well, the mp3 patent might not even apply where you are.  Secondly,
Windows MP3 encoders seem to uniformly crap, especially Xing.  I figure,
if you buy a patent-licensed mp3 encoder, you've got yourself to use one
(1) mp3 encoder of your choice, for free.  Apply your 'license' to lame
and be happy :-)

-rob