Re: Linux box loses internet connection...

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00:48PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:01:26AM -0800, alan brown wrote:
> | I have 2 boxes with Debian installed.  I thought I'd done things pretty
> | similarly but they must have diverged at some point, because one of the
> | boxes is prone to losing touch with the network.  If the power adapter
> | slips out of my switch (if I knock it for instance) and is then
> | replaced, then one of my debian machines immediately knows its place in
> | the world but the other one needs rebooting in order to be able to ping
> | the other boxes or find anything on the internet.
>
> I doubt it really needs rebooting.  More likely running
>     ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0
> would restore it.

Some stupid NICs need the module removed and re-inserted (which means
a reboot if you compiled it in, not as a module)

  NEWS FLASH: Scientists decode the first confirmed alien transmission
  from outer space ...

   "This really works! Just send 5*10^50 H atoms to each of the five
   star systems listed below. Then, add your own system to the top of
   the list, delete the system at the bottom, and send out copies of
   this message to 100 other solar systems. If you follow these
   instructions, within 0.25 of a galactic rotation you are guaranteed
   to receive enough hydrogen in return to power your civilization
   until entropy reaches its maximum!"