Re: Compiling a kernel on an UltraSparc?

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:40:51AM -0600, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
> Is there any special info on getting a 2.4.20 kernel to compile under
> woody on a Sun UltraSparc-1 Creator.
>
> Yes, the Debian Way (tm) -- or not, I don't care. Right now it fails
> at the "make dep" stage using either method. First it was some missing
> header files. Figured out where they were and got that fixed.
>
> Then it was "cannot execute cc1 -- no such file". Found it, linked it
> into /usr/bin. Now it an "invalid option to "cc1":
>
> "cc1   --mmedlow ---- no such option"
>
> Cascading errors, yuck.

Did you follow the instructions found at

  http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/#kernelsun4u

?

Note that you need to install package 'egcs64'.

You should undo the link you created, and I'm nervous about whatever
you did regarding "missing header files".  Please post the exact
commands you issued and the errors you received.

BTW, 2.4.20 is not the kernel you want if you run ext3 filesystems.
OTOH, 2.4.19 seems to not want to provide DRM support for the Creator.

I'm running 2.4.20 on an Ultra 30 w/Creator 3D, and 2.4.19 on an Ultra
60 headless.  Both compiled "the debian way" using source from
kernel.org.

  See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't create
  jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or something.  But
  the government will spend it, thereby creating jobs.
          -- Dave Barry