Re: Compiling a kernel on an UltraSparc?

Nathan E Norman said:

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:40:51AM -0600, Gerald V. Livingston II
> wrote:
>> Is there any special info on getting a 2.4.20 kernel to compile
>> under
>> woody on a Sun UltraSparc-1 Creator.
>>
>> Yes, the Debian Way (tm) -- or not, I don't care. Right now it fails
>> at the "make dep" stage using either method. First it was some
>> missing
>> header files. Figured out where they were and got that fixed.
>>
>> Then it was "cannot execute cc1 -- no such file". Found it, linked
>> it
>> into /usr/bin. Now it an "invalid option to "cc1":
>>
>> "cc1   --mmedlow ---- no such option"
>>
>> Cascading errors, yuck.
>
> Did you follow the instructions found at
>
>   http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/#kernelsun4u
>
> ?
>
> Note that you need to install package 'egcs64'.
>
> You should undo the link you created, and I'm nervous about whatever
> you did regarding "missing header files".  Please post the exact
> commands you issued and the errors you received.
>
> BTW, 2.4.20 is not the kernel you want if you run ext3 filesystems.
> OTOH, 2.4.19 seems to not want to provide DRM support for the Creator.
>
> I'm running 2.4.20 on an Ultra 30 w/Creator 3D, and 2.4.19 on an Ultra
> 60 headless.  Both compiled "the debian way" using source from
> kernel.org.

I'm working through the sparc page instructions again right now.
Appears to be a case of too many hands in the pot. The gentleman who
owns the box has been a RH user forever. He was alone with the system
overnight and it appears he was playing with aptitude and trying to
compile the kernel by hand the i386 way.

We had gcc packages from all over the place and links to who knows
what. egcs64 (which I HAD installed) was there, but not really.

I went through and --purge removed every gcc package I could without
removing the whole system. Reinstalled egcs64 then gcc-3* (which
pulled a lot of 2.95 back in). the compile of 2.4.20 is running now
and don't think I even saw any warnings.

Gotta love ssh though. I was getting really tired of running back and
forth between offices trying to fix that box. Now if the happy meal
driver will just hold up for a bit longer.

Where did you see text regarding 2.4.20 problems with ext3? The box
has ext2 right now but I was going to convert some time after the
kernel upgrade.

Thank you,

Gerald

--