Re: simple exim configuration

I'll copy this back to the list

On Friday 20 December 2002 10:44 pm, you wrote:
..

> >>It's a valid mail file according to /usr/bin/mail
> >
> >What are the file access rights.  It should have set the user to "paul"
> > and the group to "mail" (user is set in the director that directs it to
> > local_delivery) but if its not then it might not be readable
>
> -rw-r-----    1 paul     mail         5856 Dec 20 10:37
> /var/spool/mail/paul

> I haven't changed what was installed.  I now wonder what the
> relationship between the 640 here and the 660 in exim.conf.  Is group
> write necessary?

I don't think exim was the last programme to write to the file - it would have
set the mode to 660.

[or at least if its local_delivery that is delivering the file.  It could be
being delivered by another route - for instance procmail?]

I am a little confused by what you are using in your mail chain after all the
advice.  The simplest this is

Fetchmail ->smtp->exim->/var/spool/mail/paul->mutt

but for instance, I do

fetchmail ->smtp->exim (as MTA)->pipe->spamassassin->exim(as
sendmail)->$HOME/Maildir->courier->pop3->kmail

So you can end up with quite a range of things getting in the way.

> >>What process does that substitution?
> >
> >Its all inside exim its part of recognising the e-mail address and
> >manipulating it.
>
> That now makes sense.
>
> See my answer to David for other information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

- --
Alan Chandler