Re: need Ph.D. for sound even with common hardware?

Dan Jacobson wrote:

Apparently I can forget about sound as the Sid CD of 20021010 that I'm
[rural modem user] using has Alsa versions clustered around a flurry
of changes and
http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1
says I have to compile from alsa-source anyway.  Anyway, all too much
of a challenge for me.  Yes I also read
http://www.tux.org/~tbr/sound-debian/
kernel-source-2.4.18/Documentation/sound/Introduction etc.

I suppose it is too much to ask for a simple way a simple user can use
sound on Linux version 2.4.18-k7 with VIA VT8233 AC97 Audio
Controller.  I looked at many a Debian Sound HowTo already.
http://jidanni.org/comp/system.txt is what I've got.
I would bypass ALSA and stick with the OSS drivers if you can.

I can't speak to your specific situation, but on my box with a 2.4.19-k7 kernel, there's a "via82cxxx_audio.o" module in the /lib/modules/2.4.19-k7-kernel/drivers directory, which I would suspect be the module you're looking for. A simple "modprobe via82cxxx_audio" as root should get you going. If so, just add that module name to /etc/modules so it'll get activated on future reboots.

Kent