Re: need Ph.D. for sound even with common hardware?

On 20 Dec 2002 14:21:06 +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> I suppose it is too much to ask for a simple way a simple user can use
> sound on Linux version 2.4.18-k7 with VIA VT8233 AC97 Audio
> Controller.  I looked at many a Debian Sound HowTo already.
> http://jidanni.org/comp/system.txt is what I've got.

Many people use this chipset and alsa (including myself).  I'm still
working on my master's degree, so I can assure that no Ph.D. is
necessary. :)

All of the stuff I have is from binary packages, so no compiling should
be necessary.  I know this is the "cool" way to do this, but I'm in grad
school and I don't have time to recompile kernels every few months.

You'll need a kernel to mach your system arch (of course) and the
corresponding package of alsa-modules.

At this point, you really shouldn't need to do much more.  I've got a
little bugginess in my system where I have to manually set the volumes
after every reboot, but you can do this with whatever favorite mixer
tool you use.

My output from lspci (for the device in question) is different only in
IRQ and I/O address (mine are 10 and 0xe800, but I don't think that
makes any difference).

Then, of course, there are the standard caveats about creating the
'audio' group, making sure that you're a member, log out and back in,
etc.

So what do you get when you try and play a sound file?  Are you getting
silence, error messages, or garbage?

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli