Re: Xterm behavior

On Friday 20 December 2002 01:46 am, Robert Storey wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Forgive me, I'm new to Debian. On other distros I've used, I can
> control the behavior (somewhat) of Xterm with the settings in
> .bashrc, but that doesn't seem to work in Debian. Specifically, two
> things:
>
> 1) The prompt. Under Debian, the Xterm prompt is: sh-2.05a$
> How can it make it obey this setting:  PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '
>
> 2) Xterm ignores my settings in .bashrc and /etc/profiles
> concerning aliases. For example, I would like to add these
> settings:

Perhaps your .bashrc isn't being read. The default .bash_profile
provided by Debian has a line that would source your .bashrc file, if
it weren't commented out. Try typing

source ~/.bashrc

at a prompt to read in your .bashrc now, and make sure the following
lines are uncommented in your .bash_profile so it'll be read every
time you log in:

if [[ -f ~/.bashrc]; then
	source ~/.bashrc
fi