Re: exim config questions

    "Cheryl" == Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@shellworld.net> writes:

    Cheryl> these are questions that surface for me every time I do an
    Cheryl> installation and i'm still confused about them
    Cheryl> 1. qualify-domain and local_domains;a If I put my isp's
    Cheryl> domain, it works but if I send to somebody else at the
    Cheryl> same domain it gets treated as local and never goes
    Cheryl> anywhere outside my machine.  If I put my machine name for
    Cheryl> both, I may get "host unknown' when sending.  If I put my
    Cheryl> isp's domain for qualify_domain and my machine name for
    Cheryl> local_domains (with localhost), I may end up with a loop
    Cheryl> where mail that should be local goes back out to my
    Cheryl> isp. And i'm not sure where using /etc/email-addresses
    Cheryl> comes in here either.  There also would be the option of
    Cheryl> putting my fqdn in one or both places:
    Cheryl> machinename.isp.com; is this what should be in either or
    Cheryl> both places?  My machinename is n't a registered domain or
    Cheryl> anythig, just the name i've given my machine.

Here is what you should have:

qualify_domain = yourisp.domain.name
qualify_recipient = hostname
local_domains = localhost:hostname

where yourisp.domain.name is the name on your ISP provided email
address. Use these rules and read the comments in exim.conf and it
should all make sense (I did say "should" ;-)

In /etc/email-addresses you put the "public"
(user@yourisp.domain.name) email addresses that should be associated
with each username on your machine. This ensures that when your
machines local users send mail to the outside world, exim changes the
reply and other fields in the outgoing mail so that people see
sensible email addresses for them.

    Cheryl> Also, after changing /etc/exim/exim.conf, the
    Cheryl> documentation says to give exim the 'sighup' signal so the
    Cheryl> new configuration will be used. Just exactly how do I do
    Cheryl> this? It does appear that re-booting starts exim with the
    Cheryl> configuration changes but obviously this is not what the
    Cheryl> documentation is saying to do.

This is only if you run exim as a daemon. The default installation of
Debian does not do this, so you do not need to worry about it (unless
you recall having edited /etc/inetd.conf to remove the smtp entry
there).

Cheers!
Shyamal