Re: Configuring XFree86 version 4

Deryk Barker <dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca> [2002-12-19 14:27:15 -0800]:
> Has anyone persuaded the confiuration of xserver-xfree86 version 4 to
> produce a usable XF86Config-4?

Yes.  Many times.

> I've tried saying both yes and no to the framebuffer questin, which
> was fingered in an earlier discussion of this, but neither works, and
> I'm stuck in the "no screens found" mess.

Start with framebuffer no.  Some drivers support it and some do not.
The 'nv' free software nvidia driver does not, for example.  But the
proprietary nvidia driver does.

> Is there something obvious to look for? (Using Gefore 4 MX - vesa
> driver - and generic monitor 1024x768@70Hz).

To the best of my knowledge the nVidea GeForce uses the 'nv' driver
not the 'vesa' driver.  But I only have installed about six of those
so far and so I could be wrong.  Try reconfiguring using 'nv' with
framebuffer no.  I am guessing that will work.

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If it does not work then with you next posting please post your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file so there is some data as to what might be
wrong.  Also include the 'lspci' (or cat /proc/pci) output.

Have you installed 'gpm', yes or no?  Do you have a usb, ps2, imps2 or
other mouse.  Might as well ask as those will be the next questions.

Bob