Can't get environment variables to stick

Hello. Can anyone give me some tips as to why the following variables aren't available to the user I log in as?

I've put them in /etc/profile, /home/steve/.bashrc, and /home/steve/.bash_profile. Log out and back in thru gdm, and I have to set them manually. On a side note, Mozilla should be picking them up as a printer list when I run it as user steve, but it's not seeing them either.

export XPSERVERLIST="'/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist'"
export LPDEST=lp

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve