Re: fetchmail and mutt

Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

-- Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 19 December 2002, 01:02 PM -0700):
Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
Huh. Last I checked I'm running mutt without exim -- I'm using postfix.

I was referring to installing. Mutt depends on exim or another one of a set of packages which provide the virtual package called mail-transfer-agent and so apt-get won't install mutt without one of those packages.
Right, I knew that. ;-) slipped my mind. Sorry if I sounded snippy
there.

No problem.  I didn't read snippy.

Yep. Mutt doesn't do SMTP -- it relies on having an MTA on the machine.
There are patches for mutt that allow it, but they haven't been applied
to the debian packaged version (I'm not sure how stable they are, which
might account for their ommission).

Procmail recommends exim and/or a mail-transfer-agent package -- and I'm
not sure it can operate properly without one (I've never seen it
configured -- or configured it myself -- without having an MTA on the
system), so you should have what you need anyways if you install one.

So I need (if I want good filtering):
ISP -> fetchmail -> procmail -> exim -> mutt

Ok. I just found the Mail-Administrator-HOWTO which looks like it answers all these questions.

If you choose exim, my understanding is that it can do a lot of the
filtering procmail is capable of already, so you may not need to install
procmail -- search through the list for information on this.
I thought I read in some exim doc that exim doesn't filter.

Thanks for all the help. If this howto leaves anything out that I need I'll be back.

Paul