Re: fetchmail and mutt

-- Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 19 December 2002, 10:26 AM -0700):
> Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:
> >A quite "classical" config is to use fetchmail to bring your emails onto
> >your local mail engine, then use any MUA you please (mutt, pine are happy
> >use your favorite editor).
> >
> Can you be more specific about "local mail engine"?
>
> This is what I am trying to do even though I can't install mutt without
> exim.  (Of course I don't have to use exim).
Huh. Last I checked I'm running mutt without exim -- I'm using postfix.

What was meant by "local mail engine" is an MTA -- mail transfer agent.
Common ones are sendmail, qmail, postfix, and exim. Basically, fetchmail
needs to be able to deliver the mails once it fetches them, and it uses
the MTA on your machine to do so (you configure which one). *nix users
also commonly have procmail running, which takes the mails as they
arrive and filters them according to the 'recipes' the user writes. Such
filtering can include spam filtering, forwarding mail, and sorting mail
into mailboxes. Then you fire up your MUA, point it to the mail
repository, and read away.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net