Re: fetchmail and mutt

Jeff wrote:

Paul Scott, 2002-Dec-19 10:26 -0700:
Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:

A quite "classical" config is to use fetchmail to bring your emails onto
your local mail engine, then use any MUA you please (mutt, pine are happy to
use your favorite editor).

Can you be more specific about "local mail engine"?

This is what I am trying to do even though I can't install mutt without exim. (Of course I don't have to use exim).

Fetchmail would go get the mail from you email server and pull them to
your local machine where it give it to a mail delivery agent (MDA)
like Maildrop or Procmail.
How does it "give it"? How does tell the Procmail configuration how to find it? I have similar questions about the rest of the steps below. I have actually read a lot about this and still don't have answers to some of the basics.

Do I need something between fetchmail and mutt? I am configuring fetchmail right now and have the fetch part close.

The MDA would then process the mail and
deliver it to the local mailboxes on the system.  You would then view
the mail with a mail user agent (MUA) such as mutt or sylpheed.  For
sending mail, you'll need a mail transfer agent (MTA) such as Exim,
Postfix or Sendmail.

I hope this helps,

It does.  Thanks,

Paul