Re: simple exim configuration

John Griffiths wrote:

At 11:17 PM 12/18/02 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
What do I need to do to get exim to get mail from my ISP? Or at least where is the best document or tutorial to read to answer my own questions?
exim doesn't fetch mail

fetchmail fetches mail.

Thanks. So that's why I had such a hard time answering my question. :( I knew that fetchmail fetched mail but I didn't realize that exim didn't. I've really been wanting to try fetchmail anyway.

from the sound of it you don't really need exim (or any MTA) at all, but you might want to have it configured to forward mail to your ISP - up to you.

That might be after I sort out some other parts but from your comments it looks like I don't need exim. OTOH when I tried 'apt-get remove exim' apt-get wanted to remove mutt also.

if you're going to be sending all your mail from mozilla mail it might not be worth worrying about.

I have been happy with Mozilla Mail for a long time but I have been wanting to learn how to use mutt and fetchmail, etc. for some time as well.

if you want to use mutt then go with option 3 for a satellite system from
eximconfig and set your aliases the way you need them

It was the wording of option 1 that made me think it would fetch my mail even though it didn't ask me how to get to my ISP.

fetchmail to get the mail, procmail to sort it, mozilla or mutt to display it,
you're all set.

That sounds great.   Thanks.

Any ideas why I can't apt-get remove exim without removing mutt?

Paul