Re: Kernel problems: QM_MODULES

"Tobias Bengtsson" <tjolle@rajraj.net> writes:
> I just recently started a new project; to put together a new
> firewall/gatway/webserver/etc at home. Now, I installed Debian 3.0
> on an old p2-machine and then I did an dist-upgrade to the latest
> unstable/testing.  Everything worked just fine, but then I decided
> to compile a new kernel and that's when the problems started. I
> downloaded the latest kernel (2.5.49) and started configuring it
> according to my personal needs, and I then did a make install as
> well as make modules, and make modules_install.

Unless you think you have good reason to think otherwise (like, you're
a kernel developer), you really want to avoid the 2.5.x kernel
series.  Stick with something known to work well, like 2.4.19 or
2.4.20.  I also highly recommend using kernel-package to build your
kernels, which produces Debian packages that you can manage using
dpkg.

(Of note, recent versions of 2.5 are known to have completely changed
the way module handling works, resulting in the errors you're seeing.
I don't think an updated modutils is even in unstable yet.  woody
certainly won't be happy running a newer-than-2.4 kernel, just as
potato wasn't happy running a newer-than-2.2 kernel without packages
backported from woody.)

	-- Abra Mitchell