Re: urgent - system slow after spamassassin

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 08:47:00AM -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:30:07PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > hello all
> >
> > after installing spamassassin, my system has become terribly slow! i
>
> I experienced this also.   The whitelist won't help, since the message
> still gets processed by spamassassin.
>
> If you use spamc, which is the daemonized version of spamassassin, it
> will run somewhat faster, since it is written in C rather than perl.
> It only helps a little, however, since it still needs to invoke
> multiple exim processes.  I ended up also running fetchmail as a daemon
> as well, getting messages from my ISP every ten minutes or so to avoid
> being overrun by a large number of concurrent messages.

Had the same problem. I added:
    queue_only_load = 5
to my exim.conf. This stops exim from delivering the messages (and
starting spamc) when the load is over 5. After an outage of my adsl my
load shot into the 80, so this seems like a definite improvement. I
haven't noticed the sluggishness after that.

Hope this helps for others as well!

--
    I've been down so long, if I'd cheer up, I'd still be depressed.
            - Lisa Simpson, Moanin' Lisa Blues.