Re: IMAP recommendations

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:
> If it is so straightforward, it is indeed very nice. But what about if I
> want to interface a local Postfix to it ? I can't get Postfix to talk to

Attached.

  Henrique Holschuh
Setting up Cyrus IMAPd for Postfix (Debian)
$Id: README.postfix,v 1.4 2002/11/07 16:59:20 hmh Exp $

Cyrus works wonderfully well with Postfix, both in single-system stores (where
Postfix runs in the same host as Cyrus IMAPd), and remote mail stores (where
Cyrus IMAPd is in a different host than Postfix).

Delivery to Cyrus should _always_ be done through direct LMTP from Postfix.  It
is far simpler and faster to do such delivery using Unix sockets, but that is
only an option for single-system stores.

Cyrus requires LMTP deliveries to be authenticated.  It assumes that any
deliveries done through an Unix socket are trustable, and pre-authenticates
them as if coming from the "postman" (ficticious) user (but you _can_
re-authenticate them as another admin user, if you wish).

Deliveries done through TCP sockets are not limited to the same host, unlike
the Unix socket ones, and can therefore be used in remote mail stores.
However, Cyrus _requires_ that the LMTP session be authenticated using one of
the SASL mechs available to Cyrus.

TCP-socket LMTP sessions should be authenticated as one of the Cyrus admins,
normal Cyrus users are not enough.  This requires Postfix with TLS support.

Setting up Postfix for LMTP delivery to Cyrus

Just set up a transport (either using a transport map, or the default_transport
configuration directive of Postfix).  Do not use cyrdeliver.

Unix sockets:
-------------

For Unix sockets, the Postfix transport is specified as
"lmtp:unix:/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp", (we are using the default Cyrus unix
socket location as an example, you can change it in /etc/cyrus.conf and
/etc/imapd.conf).

You need a Cyrus lmtpd service listening on that socket, of course, so make
sure something like:

lmtpunix        cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp"

is in the SERVICES section of the /etc/cyrus.conf file.  You also need to make
sure both Cyrus and Postfix can talk through that socket.  Unix sockets work
just like files, so that translates to making sure both the user "cyrus" and
the user Postfix is using for LMTP delivery can both read and write to that
file.

WARNING:  Since Cyrus pre-auths anything coming through the Unix socket, anyone
who can write to it will be able to inject email into Cyrus directly.

Use dpkg-statoverride to make sure your configuration for the socket
permissions will not be overwritten by the Cyrus packages.  Do remember that
Postfix usually runs the LMTP transport as user "postfix" (configurable in
/etc/postfix/master.cf).  Also, do not run the postfix lmtp transport chrooted
if the socket is not inside the chroot.

1. Create a lmtp group:
	# addgroup lmtp

2. Put user postfix in that group:
	# adduser postfix lmtp

3. Fix the socket directory permissions:
	# dpkg-statoverride --force --update --add \
	  cyrus lmtp 750 /var/run/cyrus/socket

4. Restart Postfix and Cyrus IMAPd
	# /etc/init.d/postfix restart
	# /etc/init.d/cyrus21 restart

TCP sockets:
------------

TCP sockets are easier on the Cyrus side, and more complicated on the Postfix
side.  For Cyrus, it is enough to have an "lmtpd" service listening on the
desired IP interface (or in all of them, if you leave the interface unspecified
as in the example below), that means something like this in /etc/cyrus.conf
SERVICES area:

lmtp            cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp"

(do note that you MUST have an lmtp entry in /etc/services for this to work).

To configure Postfix' lmtp transport to authenticate using sasl, do the
following:

1. Configure the lmtp transport SASL layer:
   (add to /etc/postfix/main.cf):
   lmtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
   lmtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
   lmtp_sasl_security_options =
   lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit = 100
   lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = 0

   The *_limit values should match whatever you configured as limits in
   Cyrus.  The above configuration will allow plaintext logins.

   Create the password map /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd to tell postfix
   of a Cyrus LMTP administrator user and password to use.

   e.g.:
   echo "mycyrusspool.my.domain.org postman:foobar" >sasl_passwd
   postmap sasl_passwd

2. Configure Cyrus to accept that user as a lmtp administrator
   (add to /etc/imapd.conf)
   lmtp_admins: postman

3. Tell postfix to use the lmtp transport to deliver email using
   transport maps or something else.

   That's it!